Friday, September 01, 2006

Milkshake

If I haven’t been clear in the past about this, each major class I take features 3 to 15 different lecturers presenting the material at hand. Although there is one course director managing everything, SGU manages to recruit lectures to come here to teach part of a course for the “expenses” incurred. Basically these visiting professors get put up in a very nice hotel or at the very nice SGU university club, work for 23 or 4 hours a day, and then enjoy the Caribbean

So for the last two weeks and the next week we have this incredibly nice physio professor named Dr. Perrsonwho is Swedish, who teaches in Germany, who edits a very very important physio journal and who is one of the best, I mean THE BEST, lecturers who I have ever had the pleasure of being in class with. Plus he is just an incredibly nice guy. He was wandering around campus center the other day and I invited him to sit with me and a couple of other class mates. He told Molly what her (last) means in German (It means something like “paralegal” I think).
His father taught physics at cal tech in Pasadena for a while so he speaks English with a good California accent, but his conjugations are all German. He was explaining the “plumbing” of the heart and the physics behind how the heart fills with blood and moves it around the body. He was speaking about the diameter of blood vessels and how a tube with a small diameter was more difficult to pump fluid through than a tube with a larger diameter. He used the analogy of drinking a milkshake wrote down this sentence in my notes: “If I have a narrow straw it is very difficult to get up my milkshake.”
I will now, and for the rest of my life, think about “getting up my milkshake” every time I need to think about or explaining the narrowing of an artery or vein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home