Sunday, April 19, 2009

Well....

After I was asked twice and nicely I have given in and joined twitter.
I hope this isn’t the death knell for the blog, although it has taken quite a hit since I communicate so much via facebook… Twitter is so much less commitment, and gratification so much more instant. Not that I need more instant gratification in my life. I just finished up OB/GYN and start Pediatrics… on Monday. I have been celebrating by, among other things, sitting in the sun and drinking margaritas and bowling three games and not breaking 100 in any game. Seriously, our president could give me some tips.
I am now officially 6 week from finishing my core clerkship rotations and half way through the 80 weeks of clinical clerkship that comprise the last two years of medical school. I am starting the long and somewhat onerous process of applying for the national residency match and I am gearing up to take my next round of medical licensing exams in August (This round costs $1000 to take the exam) Trying to write my personal statement, one of those grotesque sum up your life and sell yourself and prove that you will be the best resident since wonder woman ditched her lasso and invisible plain for a career in medicine all in 500 words or less, has drummed much of the desire to write clear out of me. And yet I persevere.

Life is busy and very good. Obstetric and Gynecology was what I had hoped all my clerkships would be like. I had attending preceptors who were dedicated to teaching and who taught without belittling. I had residents who took the time to teach and didn’t treat me like I was a burden. And the fact that I was upfront about the fact I did not want to go into OB/GYN did not diminish the residents and attendings respect for me or their willingness to teach. My roommate and friend Len did his pediatrics core where I am going and enjoyed it immensely.
I am definitely more comfortable with my exam skills and looking forward to the autonomy afforded to a fourth year medical student. It feels good, I feel like I am doing good, and I like what I see coming down the road for me professionally. Who could ask for more?

1 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

cool - it sounds like everything is coming along swimmingly....you go girl! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home