Friday, August 29, 2008

Post Cards from New Mexico






My instant Gratitude for the hot dry air as I stepped off the plane

Driving up I-25 doing 75 mph as god intended (the speed limit I might add) blue blue sky above me, Sandias mountains on my right, the Jemez on my left in the distance and the whole desert opening up before me.  Some part of me that had been closed and tight inside me opened up a little.

Breakfast at the range in Bernallio.  Chai "freshly squeezed from an organic hippie" and Huevos con queso.  Side of green chile I dumped on EVERYTHING.  Strong coffee in a bright red fiestaware cup.

Serena's lovely Santa Fe home, Kodi the cat stalking sunflowers.  Squash blossoms stuffed with goat cheese and lovingly fried in olive oil.  Apricot almond upside down cake and Viognier.  Rain beating down from the big open sky and the smell of sage and wet sand flowing through the house after the storm.

Walking under the aspens in big Tesuque in the wet bright morning.  Say something funny I said, Penis she said.  No photos with straight faces taken after that



Fall in northern New Mexico.  Asters, sunflowers, growing like weeds by the side of the road

The busiest woman at SFCC wanted to talk about writing and the books in her head with no time to get out.  My emails proclaim that I continue with equal interest in the poem and in medicine but I wonder where all my lost poems have been.

New Mexico lamb and misremembered gnocchi with Shell Bell and Bruci an evening of happy misremembering.

So I ask Colleen, how is our old friend Katrina these days...?  She is known as Clarity now, Colleen tells me.
So, Colleen asks me, how is our old friend Shelley?  She is known as Serena now I tell Colleen.

"You said our governor when speaking of Bill Richardson"  Lisa delightedly informs me, jumping up and down in place a little... "that must mean you still think of yourself as a New Mexican....  "true" I reply, " but mostly because thinking of Schwarzenegger  as 'my governor' makes me want to bathe...  and I don't even know the name to the governor of New Jersey


2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger The Contessa said...

Ohhh, that makes me long for a New Mexico getaway. Mmmm, yesss. Of course, it wouldn't be the same without you! I am SO looking forward to seeing you, my dear.

Oh, and how I wish Richardson were MY governor! I'm still in denial about "the Governator."

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Larissa said...

Mmmmmm....thanks for the great postcards, makes missing NM a bit more acute. Have to take advantage of Mom being in the southwest and meet her there.

Don't bother learning the NJ governor's name - he'll probably embaress himself and we'll have someone new before too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home