Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me.....

I am still having trouble uploading images to the blog, but I will try to send one from campus tomorrow and see if that works better.

Today I had a nice lazy morning writing letters and then went to convocation. It was clear from convocation that this is a University that puts education first.. which is nice. It pleases my little academic soul that the mission is clear and upfront. I was also reminded that many straight A students are no longer in the top of their classes when they get to med school-gulp. But what is the Mark Twain quote.. Age and deceit can win out over youth and vigor every time.. Well in my case it will be age and determination.
.
After convocation I showed Ruth the Grande Anse campus and we picked up our white coats for the white coat ceremony tomorrow. We high-tailed it back to campus where Ruth fed me a very nice bowl of curry, and some birthday Papaya. And what is more festive on your birthday then Papaya? Her birthday is tomorrow.. another Capricorn-I knew there was something I liked about her. Ruth will be turning 24 and is taking very good care of me. I have to pick up my books tomorrow (EVERYONE says bring a suitcase) and Ruth has it all planned that I will leave them in her room for the day so I don't have to lug them back to Grand Anse-my door on the beach a 10 minute bus ride away.

We went to a buddy program meeting, the purpose of which seemed to be to introduce us to our buddy and give us coupons for a huge welcome back fair. There were tons of food vendors.. many of whom I hear sell on campus. There were a lot of east Indians selling Indian food so my fridge is now stocked with samosas for the week. I hung out with my RA some and looked at all the booths. Fruits and veggies seem to be hard to come by but I am told that there is a vendor on campus tomorrow. Right now I have a ton of food.. but a lot of it is fairly starchy. This is not a place for those folks who are on the atkins diet. I wandered in and out and round the booths and finally took the bus back and went for a swim-which is quickly becoming my necessary afternoon cool off event. I have been munching on cake that I got at the fair and hanging out with my new roommate Nicole. Friends it seems are materializing. It feels like I have been here for weeks, and I am told that the first week is the longest.

And I am certain I won't be posting this much when school gets in full swing.

Not an easy day today.. But a good day. Good to be still growing still healthy still taking this many risks at age 42.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home