Sunday, January 22, 2006

Hurricane Pizza

It’s Sunday and I got up at 6 am this morning (slept in.. not my usual 5) and went downstairs to the study room to hit the books. The study room has wireless internet in it that kind of leaks out, so you will often find people sitting in the hall outside the study room, in the adjacent stairwell or in the hall above the study room accessing the internet or making internet based calls. This morning when I came down to the study room there were two people sitting looking at a laptop with a bottle of wine next to them.. looking a little bleary eyed as if they had been up all night. When I got in the study room there was already someone here ahead of me.

That is med school in a nutshell. There are some kids here who party so frequently I don’t know how they will be able to pass their classes. And there are some folks here who make my obsessive-compulsive study habits seem as if I am the worst of slackers.


My anatomy lab meets for dissection only once a week, but the lab itself is open almost all the time and I met some students whose lab was scheduled earlier to review bones and the structures dissected so far on the cadaver. The cadaver work is incredibly constructive and it is very helpful to go over, and I have a somewhat cohesive group forming for study.


So the first week is gone which I am told is the longest. I am sure I’ll blink and wake up back in the states this summer. I am still trying to adjust to the way things happen here, like not being able to find a needle and thread anywhere but a fabric store—when I asked the cashier at the mimi-walmart like hardware store she looked at me like I was nuts “You’ll have to go to the cloth store, and you won’t find that until Monday”

I went out to dinner last night to a little pizza place past the Spicelands mall (which is a mall about 1/3 to ¼ the size of the DeVargas mall for you Santa Feans) with my roommate Nicole and another 30+ vet student named Sheri who had brought her dog with her to the island. We sat outside on a nice patio had big salads and a split an Ivan (Named for the hurricane that removed about 90% of the rooftops here a couple of years ago) A pepperoni, olive, sun dried tomato pizza with hostesses, not all that hot for this new Mexico girl. It was good conversation and a beautiful evening and it was nice mostly because it felt so normal, not one of the huge on slot of new and different experiences. Even when change is good and sought after it still can be fatiguing,

AH well back to the grindstone. the muscles of the beep back wait to be memorized

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home