Sunday, December 17, 2006

Day at the beach

So I am not really sure Peggy likes me. I did ask her not to leave give me the cookies. Because I was going to abstain from alcohol and only eat leaves, shoots, nuts, berries this Christmas and cookies are not on the list. But there they were in the bag with the rum.
That was before I lost the bottle of rum. And that was yesterday. I haven’t written about yesterday yet and then there is today.. But I digress. Let me begin with the visual aids and the full story of day three, my Caribbean Christmas vacation..
The day started leisurely enough with a few runs to the airport… Pictures at right are the lovely Christine and Nada (yes the Nada of What Nada’s shirt said today fame) just hours before her departure. After the airport run it was off the beach for the afternoon. Shade, you will see has decided that she is too delicate a flower to sit on the sand and so she squeezed onto the towel with me, no doubt channeling the spirit of Bippy, my family dog from childhood, who had great battles with my Mom over her place on the blanket after river swims in Mendocino.
Then after attempting a nap and being woken up by a man selling aloe vera (how is waking me up a good sales technique?) I was joined by Christine, Natalie, Peggy and Ian.Shade then decamped to sit with Peggy and Ian, because babies with Gold fish crackers are worth sitting in the sand for. Peggy and Ian and I enjoyed some time in the water. And as you can see, Ian, is the most beautiful boy on the island (I have quite a crush) and he has been to NYC and learned how to flirt there and has no doubt inherited his good looks and quick wits from his mother.
And then lest you worry, faithful reader, that my days in the Caribbean are not Christmassy enough, it was off to the store in my soggy pants to get the final ingredients for the egg nog. Now the nog purists among you will insist that I should have started my nog in October, and let it sit in my fridge heavily laced in alcohol and getting stronger by the day, but alas I was in class then and did not have time to make the nog. But make the nog I did and I was off to Peggy’s for Chicken Tikka and Rice and Gin and Tonics and to watch It’s a Wonderful Life. Dinner was followed by Peggy’s home made cookies and the nog.. because what else would your drink on an island that exports both nutmeg and rum? I only lasted until about 11 pm.. or 2 of the 3 hours of the broadcast time of the movie, and so was happily able to go home to doze through George’s trouble and wake back up near midnight for George’s enlightenment, so the requisite lip quivering, throat clearing and cheek dampening could happen in peace and without embarrassment in the privacy of my own home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home