Monday, June 25, 2007

Limboland

Well I am back in the states, cooling my heels in a Comfort Inn in Miami waiting for Shade to arrive on tuesday. She had to fly on a shipper rather than with me on American because American has instituted an embargo on pet flights. She is staying with a kind friend who will put her on a plane on Tuesday and she may even fly directly here without experiencing the joy of San Juan airport as I did.

I looked for a cheap car to rent and got some strange upgrade for the cheap price and so I am driving around Miami in a strange 4 wheel drive cherry red humvee wanna be kind of vehicle A dodge Nitro. I feel a little bit like I am profiting from ill gotten gains, but the thing is only costing $20 a day

Basically I am bored enough that I googled a picture of the rental car to share with you. I have had several novel experiences after 11 months out of the states. I went to starbucks. I had a venti soy chai (as god intended) I have eaten both a nectarine and some cherries. Tv is the same. I have been to a couple of malls, but they seemed more overwhelming than enticing, and I find myself wondering how people who live here deal with the constant onslaught of stimulation.. and then I realized I used to be one of those people.
Medical school is changing me. Living out of the US again has changed me. It is difficult to put my finger on how, or to provide a rubric for you my dear old friends, but I know I am irrevocably changed by the last year and a half, and will continue to change.
The nice thing about being stuck here is that it gives me some re-entry time. To relearn context that doesn't haven't anything to do with constant study, exams or whether the grocery store has milk or eggs that week.
There are stories to tell, I am looking forward to telling them.. and hearing some stories in return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home