Saturday, July 07, 2007

I have some sad news about Shade, my friend and companion of almost thirteen years. Although we are waiting for a final pathology report to confirm it, she most likely has transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder and urethra. The good news is there are some treatment options that will not cause her to suffer but that will extend her life for a year, perhaps two. After a long talk with my Mom and the blessings of her partner Magda, I have decided to leave Shade with them for the fall term. Although I want to keep her close to me now that I am more forcefully reminded that I have limited time with her, she will have better continuity of care here, not be subjected to the stress of travel as well as live in a cooler climate with folks who are home most of the day and who can monitor her more closely.

For her part, her energy level is normal and she is in no pain. We went on a lovely three mile walk the other day. There is lots of cool grass to roll in Palo Alto and she is making friends with a Bichon in the building. She still keeps a close watch on me., as that is her job. We will miss each other while I am in Grenada, but I am confident that I will return to a dog who is still in relatively good health who I can love up for as long as she is healthy and comfortable in this world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home