Thursday, November 09, 2006

Word of the day

So I am reading about hypoxia, and I learn the difference between oxygen responsive hypoxia and oxygen refractory hypoxia. Excuse me, I think, refractory? So I look it up in my medical treatment and find the definition of refractory- resistant to treatment, intractable, obstinate. So why, being the good the deconstructing former UCSC scholar with too much french structural linguistics in her head that I am, can’t they just write about hypoxia that is responsive to oxygen and hypoxia that is not responsive to oxygen? Why the special word? I am beginning to feel like it is to keep other non doctor folk out of the club, you know using language that no one else understand to make yourself look smarter. In most cases I do not think it is malicious, it just habit.. like all the folks who watch Grey’s Anatomy saying the word seriously every other minute. Now every other word I read is refractory so I am starting a little revolution. In fact I am feeling rather refractory about it. It your word of the day.. it’s a shiny word. Use it. Refractory. Go on I double dog dare ya.

2 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my day, children were often referrred to as refractory. Thank god it has grown out of use as a descriptor of a child's behavior. Almost incorrigible I always felt!

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger jonathan said...

New scrabble high score record for "quixally" the adverb of quixotic.

I remember trying to wrap my brain around the economic terms at college. Once I understood them they seemed so full of meaning because they were so fresh. Soon my writing was as obfuscatory as the rest; I think that's called sophomoric. Trouble is many never leave that phase.

Happy Thanksgiving, Sa. Have some refractory pie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home