Saturday, July 07, 2007

Japan town with Mr. F.

Several of my heartfelt desires were met last night when I drove undulating bay hills of highway 280 as the fog rolled over the crest of the peninsula’s spine to the city (San Francisco for the unenlightened) and got to spend the evening trolling around Japantown with Dan. THE Dan of the shoe blog fame. and he brought the twins, the lovely Clarkes that he lovingly blogs about at:
http://www.danfinearts.com/Site/The%20Shoe%20Blog/The%20Shoe%20Blog.html
Well Dan, the twins and I had quite an adventure. I was searching for a wedding gift for a friend, but the shop we were interested in closed almost as soon as we got there so we had to content ourselves with the Japantown version of the dollar store. Dan, who I have know for more than 20 years and who shares with me some friends I have known for more than 25 years (what up Jonathan? glad to hear you read the blog) also spent a year or more in Japan during his well spent youth. He was looking for hello kitty moonbeam pies I believe and found the motherload of Pocky sticks. What are Pocky sticks you might ask? Pocky sticks are the chocolate diped cracker sticks I became obsessed with in Japan. And they have branched out since I left. Aside from the classic chocolate version, there was Tahitian vanilla Pocky, strawberry Pocky, chocolate coconut and almond crunch Pocky, and “men”s” Pocky. And then there was the Sanrio store. I am now the proud owner of a Hello Kitty Pez dispenser. There were shops full of the strange and familiar objects of Japan. Dan happily understands that eating Japanese does not necessarily mean sushi (not that sushi is bad, just that there is so much more!) and Dan slurped his soba (appropriately) while I broke my carb fast for a lovely bowl of udon.

And walking between buildings I actually got chilly once or twice, a novel experience I often dreamed of in Grenada. Dan kept on asking me if Medical school was making me happy and I had to confess it was. If not precisely happy at all times, I feel damn lucky to have gotten to do this at this point in my life and sure that I am on the right path for me. I know that not everyone gets that lucky, so I am grateful. But it is good to be back in the states, a little easier everyday to see myself living in Brooklyn, and lovely to connect with old friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home