Friday, August 24, 2007

Still Catching up from summer

So I came home to the states to find that almost everyone was talking about a movie called Once, and that of course my always in the know friends Michael, Sylvia and Gina had not only seen and heard of the musicians featured in the film but were planning on going to see them just before I left.
And so it came to pass that I was able to see Glen Hansard & Marketa Iglova in the intimate setting of the Noe valley ministry on a cold and foggy San Francisco evening.
The night started with an inexpensive and excellent meal at a Ethiopian restaurant on Valencia and a quick trip to the pirate store. (Glass eyes on sale, scurvy 1//2 off.. and all to support a writers project housed in the back of the store)I had never heard Hansard & Iglova before, nor had I seen the movie and I could not imagine a more perfect introduction to their music. It was just the two of them, Iglova on piano and Hansard on acoustic guitar and they were engaging, humble and skilled. The music was magical.. Hansard even invited one of the younger concert goers on stage to dance while he sang a silly song about Bananas that he wrote for his niece.

Hansard and Iglova stayed after the concert and signed CDs.. Once had yet to be released in Euroope and they seemed a little stunned by their new found fame and by the size of the venues that promoters had been offering to have them play in. If you want a treat I recommend that you all go out and buy their CD the Swell Season today

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger The Contessa said...

I second that recommendation!

I'm so glad you were able to join us. That was my concert highlight of the Summer, although Glen Phillips was very good too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home