Friday, August 31, 2007

God I am going to miss Grenada


My classmates can smell change in the air and they can’t wait to go home.

But as I sit on my desk to look out over Mourne Rouge Bay from my seat at my desk, wondering if I can squeeze a dive in I know I will miss it here.

Today I started my clinical medicine class and spent the morning in the office of an Internal Medicine doc. I worked with 3 other students, we took a history, presented to the doctor and gave our impressions. It felt good. Oddly the patient was almost exactly my age, had a host of problems.. and so the challenge was figuring out where to start.

I have been fighting off some sort of sinus infection, started having a little self pity party that morning about how hard it can be to be a medical student (at my age). It would make a better more believable story perhaps if I told you I took that history , saw what my life and my health could be at this point and realized how lucky I am. That is not what happened. What happened is I got lost in the work, the patient, my fellow students, the wisdom of the doctor who I was working with, and I forgot about the ache in my head and the weight of lectures un-reviewed, drugs to memorize.   And it felt good, felt right, felt like I was stepping into myself in a way that I have been longing to do for a very long time.

All the discontent came back of course, almost as soon as I got back in the van to go to campus. We had some really good lectures today (more on that later) and I just got sulky again. I tried to give myself a little break, watch a movie, and I got crankier. But sitting here at my desk, looking at the sunset, and bearing witness to my up and down day has settled me into myself, my scratchy throat, my Neurology notes and the beautiful beautiful Caribbean night, my sense of purpose and rightness has returned and I move on.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger The Contessa said...

Oh, how I wish I were there with you, watching the Caribbean sunset! I miss you, my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home